Saturday, April 4, 2009

work update

First off, LOVE LOVE LOVE this job!

I got yelled at by someone on the phone. He was an ass, and I don't care that he yelled at me. It just wasn't very pleasant. I answered another phone call, but it was about a bunny which I actually know something about, so all was good until she asked me for our address and I didn't know it... doh!

Okay, now with that out of the way. Summary of the (notable) cases:

1. Opossum - Came in with head trauma--fractured skull, bleeding from mouth/ears. Suspect Euthanized after the physical exam, but she was a female and had nine healthy little babies in her pouch. I've been tube feeding those poop machines for the past few days.... their poop looks like mustard.... I love when their little tails wrap around my fingers.


2. Barn Owl - Covered in who knows what... oil? Brougth in because it wasn't flying, couldn't find anything physically wrong. Started him on antibiotics just in case.


3. Raccoon - Adult raccoons are very very aggressive and mean, in case you didn't know. This was a possible distemper case which is a very nasty nasty disease. I almost had to push her to the back of her cage with a ramming bar (not really, but that is what it looks like) so we could give her and IM injection to knock her out. Ended up using a vaccination pole because she was too heavy to lift up on the catch pole. Ended up euthanizing because of the distemper risk.

4. Rufus Hummingbird - Won't fly. I love these guys. They are just SO tiny. It is unbelievable to me that I've held them in my hands.


A bunch of other non-specific cases came in too--bunny, squirrels, etc.

1 comment:

The Fab Miss B said...

Sounds like this is the absolute perfect fit for you! We saw lots of hummingbirds in AZ- they are such amazing creatures!