Saturday, February 21, 2009

meetup

Last night, we went out with some friends for a change. New friends. There is a website called 'meetup' and there are groups for pretty much every interest and big city, so basically, you join and attend events planned by the organizers. Great way to meet new people with similar interests in a new city.

I joined because I'm shy. Since I'm not in college anymore, I don't really have an easy way to meet anyone, and it is very unlike me to just walk up to someone and strike up conversation. Really, how do people do that?

Anyway, so we went out with these guys a few weeks ago to play laser tag (which is way overrated imo). My first impression was that they were kind of clicky. Like they all knew each other and it was hard for us to break into the circle. I was bummed.

Plus, they brought a very creepy guy last time. He didn't speak the whole time. Wore headphones. Was really rude when asked questions by our waitress like 'what kind of ice cream would you like?' He just rolled his eyes like 'why are you bothering me with these questions, ugh.' I mean, if you were gonna act like that, why even come?

Back to the present. Or more recent past. We went out with them again, a couple new people this time. Ate at Typhoon, a thai restaurant. Good food (I had eggplant lover with fried tofu)--a bit on the spicy side for me and my tofu was overcooked for my tastes. After we went to someone's apartment to play Rock Band.

This is where it probably was apparent that I had too much to drink. I mean, I'm not one to be sloppy, so that wasn't the case. But, I did sing lead for a few songs. No one else wanted to so I figured as long as they knew *I* knew I couldn't sing, it'd be okay. Maybe others would try it to. I also sang a duet of sorts with another person there. Ha.

At this meetup, everyone was more outgoing and open. So, this shows me that first impressions aren't always right. Maybe WE were the ones not reaching out to them to talk last time, thus that is why they were talking to each other. All in all a good night, and I'm working through the sluggish next day syndrome currently!

1 comment:

The Fab Miss B said...

It is tough to meet new friends in a new city- I've had to do it many times and a little drunken karaoke is an excellent beginning!